Honourable President of the 50th Annual Day Programme Sri Sampath Samrajya, Distinguished Chief Guests Sri A.K. Ravi Kumar and Sri Umesh Pai, Members of the College Trust and Governing Council, Ladies and Gentlemen,
At the outset, I extend to you all a hearty and warm welcome to the Annual Day celebrations of our college. It is an occasion to place before the parents and the public, a brief report of the curricular and co-curricular activities conducted in the institution. I deem it an honour and privilege to present to this august assembly the annual report of Sri Mahaveera First Grade College for the academic year 2014-15. I take this opportunity to pay our rich tributes and respect to the illustrious founders of this college, Dr. T.M.A. Pai and Sri S.N.Mudbidri for their selfless efforts in the establishment and development of our institution.
The college is managed by the Academy of General Education, Manipal, and Sri Mahaveera College Trust, Moodbidri. In addition, to look after the administrative matters, we have the SMC Governing Council. Sri C.H. Abdul Gafoor has been nominated as the new member of the Governing council. The management of the college is vested in the hands of the dedicated, dynamic and disciplined stalwarts who are having a wealth of experience in administration.
The sister institutions in our campus include Sri Mahaveera Pre-University College, S.N. Mudbidri Polytechnic, A.G.Soans ITI and M.K.Ananthraj College of Physical Education.
We congratulate our honourable trustees Dr. D. Veerendra Hegde and Dr. H. Shantaram, on being the recipients of Padma Vibhushana Award and Udupi District Rajyotsava Award respectively.
From this academic year, a second batch of B.Com with an intake of 90 students has been started. The strength of the students of our two institutions in the year under report is as follows:-
|First Grade College||191||340||531|
The combined staff strength in the year under report is:-
Teaching : 45
Non-teaching : 17
Total : 62
In the year under report, Prof. Jayashree, Associate Professor of Economics has been transferred to M.G.M. College, Udupi. I wish to place on record her valuable services to the Institution. Prof. M.V. Vidyadhar, Assistant Professor of Economics, has been transferred from M.G.M. College, Udupi, to our college.
The following Management Staff members have joined the services of our institution during this academic year:-
- Parnashree, Dept. of Computer Science
- Savitha Kotian, Dept. of Commerce
- Shabana, Dept. of Mathematics
- Ashalatha, Dept. of Physics
- Surendra Kumar, Dept. of Chemistry
- Sumalatha, Dept. of Chemistry
- Riona Preema Rego, Dept. of Mathematics
- Sri Pradeep K.P., Dept. of Statistics
- Sandeep Shetty, Dept. of English
- Sneha, Dept. of Political Science
- Soumya Hegde, Office Assistant
- Ranjitha R. Hegde, Office Assistant
- Jagadish Jain, Helper
- Hemalatha, Helper
- Prasad, Helper
The following staff members have left the services of the institution:-
- Pooja Bhat, Dept. of Statistics
- Deepa, Dept. of Chemistry
- Ashwini Shenoy, Department of Commerce
- Nandini, Department of Mathematics
- Sowmya, Department of Computer Science
- Poornima Adiga, Dept. of Mathematics
- Vinutha, Dept. of Physics
- Yashwanth Shetty, Dept. of Computer Science
- Vinutha, Dept. of Chemistry
- Jyothi, Helper
While welcoming the new staff members to our fold, I take this opportunity to place on record the valuable services of those who left the institution on their own.
The following staff members retired from the services of the institution after attaining superannuation:-
- Pushpavathy, Office superintendent of our college, retired on 30th November 2014 after 38 years of service.
- Sri Fredrick Lobo, the non-teaching staff of our college, retired on 31st October 2014 after 42 years of service.
I wish to place on record their valuable services to the institution.
The details of the results of the Annual Examinations of April – May 2014 are as under:-
Arts 80.95% B.A. 97.22%
Science 64% B.Sc. 84.61%
Commerce 85.71% B.Com 76.05%
I stand before you proudly to announce that Ms. Tejaswini of II BA secured II Rank in the District level ‘Anubhaava’ exam conducted during February 2014, by Vachana Kammata, Basava Kendra, Sri Murugha Mutta, Chitradurga. Ms. Jameela of III BA secured I Rank in the District level ‘Anubhuthi’ exam. I congratulate these students for their achievements.
With remarkable growth during this academic year, the college is completing its 50 years of existence. Sri Oscar Fernandes, Member of Rajya Sabha and the Former Minister, Govt. of India, inaugurated the ‘Golden Jubilee Block – I’ which is constructed at a cost of Rs.2 crores. Sri Anand Shetty, a proud alumnus of our college and the Managing Director of Organic Industries Ltd, Mumbai, laid down the foundation stone to the Golden Jubilee Block – II. The construction work of this building is in progress. The approximate cost of this building is Rs. 2 crores. Construction of ATM of Syndicate Bank is finished and is functioning in the premises of the campus. C.C.T.V. has been fixed in the college premises.
Golden Jubilee Fund:
The following donors have donated generously for the golden jubilee fund during the current academic year:-
- Sri K. Abhayachandra Jain, Chairman, SMC Gocerning Council and the Honourable Minister for Youth Services and Fisheries, Govt. of Karnataka – 5 lakhs.
- Sri Anand M Shetty, Managing Director of Organic Industries Ltd, Mumbai – Rs.5,01,001/-
- Sri Fazlur Rahiman, an old student of this college has promised to donate Rs.7 lakhs.
- M. Mohan Alva, Chairman, Alvas Education Foundation, Moodbidri and also the old student of this college – Rs.3 lakhs. He has promised to donate Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Sri Yajnanarayana Kammaje, President and CEO, Sona Group, Bangalore and the alumnus of our college – Rs. 1 lakh.
- Sri Mobhammed Vaseem, the old student of this college – 1 lakh.
- Padmanabha Udupa, Sri Durga Pharmacy, Moodbidri – Rs. 1 lakh.
- Sri Raghavendra Prabhu I., the old student of this college – Rs. 50,000/-
- Sri Titus Noronha, the old student of this college – Rs.50,000/-
- Lilly Nazareth, Hosabettu, Moodbidri – Rs. 30,000/-
- Sri Ganesh Bhat, Medical Centre, Moodbidri – Rs.25,000/-
- Prema Girish, the old student of this college – Rs.10,000/-
- Snehalatha Vasudeva Pai, retired Office Superintendent of this college – Rs.10,000/-
- Sri Shantharam, A.O., National Insurance Corporation Ltd., B.C.Road- an old student of this college – Rs.10,000/-
- Sri Shankar Bhat, President of PTA – Rs.10,000/-
- Sri P. Nemiraj Hegde, Retired Physical Education Director – Rs. 7,000/-
- Sri Sadananda Hegdekatte, retired Librarian of this college –Rs.7,000/-
- Rathnakar Hegdekatte and Mrs. Shanthala Rajgopal – Rs.7,000/-
- Nirupama V. Shenai, Bangalore – Rs. 5,001/-
- Aruna S. Pai, Bangalore – Rs. 5,001/-
- Kavitha M.Pai, Kallyan (W) – Rs. 5,000/-
- Bharathi R. Shenoy, Bangalore – Rs.2,501/-
- Sujatha G. Pai, Kallyan (W) – Rs.1,000/-
Thanks to the donors.
Grants and Scholarships:
During the current academic year, the college has received the following grants:-
- State Govt. Salary Grant – Rs. 1.5 crore
- UGC grant for organizing the two day National seminar on ‘Idea of Nationalism in India – Historical, Cultural, Economic and Political Trends’ – Rs. 1 lakh
- Minor Research Project grant of Dr. Vaman Baliga – Rs.60,000/-
- UGC grant for establishing and monitoring of Internal Quality Assurance Cell in colleges – Rs. 3 lakhs
- Additional Assistance (Capital Assets) for purchase of Equipments – Rs. 25 lakhs
- Celeston CGE Pro 1400 HD Telescope with Rs.12.30 lakh will be purchased under this assistance
- Karnataka Science & Technology, DST grant of Rs.30,000/- to organize Mangalore University level inter collegiate Paper Presentation competition on science topics.
- UGC XII Plan General Development Assistance sanctioned Rs.19.25 lakhs and released Rs.4.20 lakhs as second installment for books and equipments and it has been fully utilized.
- Proposal has been sent to UGC for 1 crore to construct UGC sponsored Golden Jubilee Block III under XII Plan General Development Assistance.
- H Chandrashekar Dixit, Principal, has donated Rs. 14,170/- towards scholarship to the deserving students.
- Sri B. Janardhana Shenoy of Karkala has sponsored an endowment prize in the name of his mother Late Smt. B. Shambhavi Nagesh Shenoy, to two GSB students (one boy and one girl each) who have passed Pre-University education in first attempt and joined B.Com course in this college.
- The former Principal of this college Prof. U. Vasantha Rao has sponsored an endowment prize in the name of his wife Late Smt. Shanthi V. Rao, to the student who secures highest marks in I & II PU Maths subject.
Our library has a collection of 50,994 volumes and has been subscribing to 65 periodicals and 9 dailies. It has a spacious reading room to accommodate 120 students with independent table and chair. The library organized ‘Gandhiana’ – a book exhibition of the works of and on Mahatma Gandhi from 27th September to 2nd October 2014. National Book Week was organized between 14th November and 20th November 2014. The college is grateful to the following donors who are kind enough to donate books to the library during this academic year:-
- Registrar, Academy of General Education, Manipal
- Sri K. Abhayachandra Jai, Chairman, SMC Governing Council
- H.S. Ballal, President, AGE, Manipal
- Central Institute of Indian Languages, Manasagangothri, Mysore
- Aruna Kumari, Mangalore
- Competition Success Review
- Ajakkala Girish Bhat, Modankaup
- Sri S.V. Hegdekatte, Kodangallu, Moodbidri
- Janaki M. Brahmavara, President, Karnataka Tulu Sahitya Academy
Free Mid-day Meal:
Free mid-day meal is being provided to 100 students on the basis of their economic status, regularity, academic performance, etc. I thank the following donors for their generous contribution towards free mid-day meal scheme:-
- Sri Sadananda, Bombay : Rs. 10,000/-
- Rotary Club Temple Town, Moodbidri : Rs. 10,000/-
- Sri Suresh Prabhu, SNS Motors, Moodbidri : Rs. 5,000/-
- PU Students : Rs. 4,500/-
- Sri A.R. Manikanth : Rs. 4,000/-
- Ajaz Ahmed, Dept. of Commerce : Rs. 2,000/-
- Lilly Nazareth : Rs.2,000/-
- Vaman Baliga, Dept. of Commerce : Rs.1,500/-
- Baby Dharithri Kiran Marla, Moodbidri : Rs. 1,500/-
- Chethan, II B.Com : Rs.1,500/-
- Vijayalakshmi, Dept. of Economics : Rs. 1,000/-
- Sri Tejaswi Bhat, Dept. of Sanskrit : Rs. 1,000/-
- Sulochana, Dept. of Kannada : Rs. 500/-
Achievements of the Staff:
- Prof. H.Chandrashekhar Dixit, Principal
- Participated in the National Meet for the organizers of INSPIRE Internship Camps-2014 held at KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, on May 29th and 30th 2014, organized by the Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
- Attended Interactive Session with Dr. Gopu Kumar, Dy. Secretary, UGC, SWRO, Bangalore, on 3.8.2014 at Govindadasa College, Suratkal, conducted by the Association of First Grade College Principals of Mangalore University.
- Participated in the UGC National Seminar on “Teaching Language through Literature – Feasibility of a Holistic Approach” held at MGM College, Udupi on 9.1.2015.
- Participated in the UGC National Seminar on “Human Rights and Environment: Issues and Concerns” held at Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 23.1.2015.
- Dr. B. Vamana Baliga, Dept. of Commerce & Management
- Attended a One-Day University Level Workshop on “Revised B.Com. Curriculum” organised by Mangalore University Commerce Teachers’ Association (MUCTA) on 5th July, 2014 at St. Aloysius Evening College, Mangaluru.
- Participated in One-Day UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Emerging Issues in Global Economy, Commerce and Management: Challenges and Strategies for International Competitiveness” at Sri Bhuvanendra College, Karkala on 26th July, 2014.
- Attended BOS meeting of SDM (Autonomous) College, Ujire on 14th August, 2014 in the capacity of BOS member of that college.
- Gave a talk on “Organisational Communication” for the Post-graduate students of SVS College Bantwal on 31st October 2014.
- Participated in One-Day UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “Electronic Transactions and Electronic Evidence: Emerging Issues and Challenges in Cyber Security” at MGM College, Udupi on 19th December, 2014 as the Chairman of paper presentation session.
- Attended Two-Day UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “Issues and Prospects of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises” at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 28th and 29th January, 2015.
- Gave key note address at the inaugural ceremony of State Level Competition “Play Store – 2015”, organised for the Post-graduate students by Post-graduate Department of Commerce at Sri Manjunath Pai Memorial College, Karkala on 7th February, 2015.
- Working as RUSA Co-ordinator of the college and submitted a report to the Department of Higher Education in July, 2014.
- Working on a Minor Research Project funded by UGC entitled” Balancing of Work and Family Issues of Working Mothers – A study With Reference to Mangalore District and Udupi District.
- Prof. Madhur Mohan, Dept. of Kannada
- Student Welfare Officer of the college for the year 2014-15.
- Working editor of the college magazine ‘Sumeru’
- Inaugurator and chief guest of the various activities of associations of Venur Pre-University College.
- Secured I Prize in singing, II Prize in quiz and II Prize in elocution competitions conducted by Tulu Shivalli Sabha, Kasaragod, Kerala on 27th December 2014.
- Represented the Examination section of Kannada Department of all the colleges which come under Mangalore University on 12th January 2015.
- Participated in one day seminar on “Kumara Vyasa Kavya Anusandhana” at NMC, Sullia on 17th January 2015.
- Written a Yakshagana Prasanga “Aramale Betta Kshethra Mahathme’
- Broadcasted four speeches from Madikeri Akashavani during November 2014.
- Gamaka gaayana, chinthana, yakshagana Thalamaddale etc have broadcasted from Mangalore Akashavani.
- Published articles in many weekly and monthly magazines.
- Director of the Yakshagana ‘Rathi Kalyana’ which will be staged on 13.2.2015
- Has been nominated as one of the members of the ‘Kumarvyasa Award’ selection committee(2014-15) by Kannada & Samskruthi Ilakhe, Govt. of Karnataka.
- Prof. Ajaz Ahmed, Dept. of Commerce & Management
- Attended Principals’ and NAAC Coordinators’ Interactive Meeting with Dr.Gopu Kumar, Deputy Secretary, UGC, Bangalore, held at Govindadas College, Surathkal, on 3rd August 2014.
- Presented research paper entitled “Impact of Global Financial Crisis and its reflective impact on the growth of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises” at UGC sponsored National Seminar held at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri, on 28th and 29th January 2015.
- Prof. Harish, Dept. of Commerce & Management
- Attended Refresher course in Commerce at Academic Staff college, Kannur University, Kerala from 30.06.2014 to 21.07.2014.
- Attended two days National Seminar on “Issues and Prospects of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises” held at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 28th and 29th January 2015. Presented a paper on ‘Problems of Small Scale Industries and Recent Policy Measures to Sustain Small Scale Industries.’
- Organized ‘Free Medical Camp’ on 31st January 2015.
- Organized Mangalore University inter-collegiate competition ‘Tulunada Siri Madipu 2015’ on 11th February 2015.
- Prof. Jayalaxmi, Dept. of History
- Attended a meeting at St. Agnes College, Mangalore, as the member of the Board of Examination on 23rd August 2014.
- Serving as theYouth Red Cross Programme Officer of our college.
- Served as the co-convener of the UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Idea of Nationalism in India – Historical, Cultural, Economic and Political Trends” held in our college during 5 – 6 September, 2014 and also presented a paper on “Brahmo Samaj: An Expression of Elite Nationalism” which will be published in the conference proceedings with ISBN. Serving as the editor of seminar proceedings.
- Attended the 3 day conference organized by Karnataka Ithihasa Academy held in MSRS College, Shirva, from 26th to 28th September 2014.
- Attended one day workshop held at Government College, Carstreet, Mangalore, conducted by the Department of Collegiate Education on 17th January 2015.
- Attended B.V.Kakkillaya Oration by Prof. Romila Thapar on 21st January 2015 at Ravindra Kalakshethra, Mangalore University College, Mangalore.
- Prof. Praveen K., Department of Political Science
- Participated in the International Seminar on “Globalisation, Human Rights and Democracy” on 6th and 7th March 2014 at Milagres College, Kallianpur and presented a paper on “Development, Displacement and Rehabilitation: A study of special economic zone in South Canara District”. This paper was published in book form with ISBN.
- Served as the convener of the UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Idea of Nationalism in India – Historical, Cultural, Economic and Political Trends” held in our college during 5 – 6 September, 2014 and also presented a paper on “Special Economic Zones in India: Challenges and Future” which will be published in the conference proceedings with ISBN. Serving as the editor of seminar proceedings.
- Presented a research paper on “Development and Violation of Human Rights” in the UGC sponsored one day National Seminar on ‘Human Rights and Environment: Issues and Concerns’ held at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 23rd January 2015.
- Served as the member of Board of Examiners of Political Science of Mangalore University.
- Attended as a resource person for the contact programmes organized for the under graduate and post graduate students studying in distance education of Mangalore University.
- Serving as the NSS Programme Officer of the college.
- Worked as the Camp Officer of National Integration NSS Camp organized by Youth Empowerment and Sports Department, Government of Karnataka and the NSS wing of Mangalore University which was held in our college from 24th to 30th December 2014.
- Attended as a subject expert on the panel of interviews for selecting the teaching faculty (Pol.Science) of Alvas College, Moodbidri on 12.7.2014.
- Prof. Vidyadhara M.V., Dept. of Economics
- Participated in the National level Seminar on “Idea of Nationalism in India: Historical, Economic, Cultural and Political Trends” organized by SMC, Moodbidri on 5th and 6th September 2014.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored one day National Seminar on ‘Human Rights and Environment: Issues and Concerns’ held at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 23rd January 2015.
- Mrs. Nalini K., Librarian
- Attended one day State level awareness programme “INFLIBNET N-List E-Resources and Application of Statistics for Research” on 12th August 2014 at St. Agnes College, Mangalore.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National level conference on “Libraries and Librarianship in Transition: Challenges and Opportunities – LIBTRANS 2014” held on 22nd & 23rd August 2014 at Besant Evening College, Mangalore.
- Working as one of the editors of the National Seminar Proceedings book which is to be published by our college with ISBN and also the editor of the college magazine ‘Sumeru’
- Worked as the chief coordinator of inter collegiate cultural competition ‘Tulunada Siri Madipu-2015’ held in our college on 11th February 2015.
- Mrs. Sulochana, Dept. of Kannada
- Participated in the 19th Kannada Sahitya Sammelana at Polali Rajarajeshwari Temple on 2nd August 2014.
- Participated in the two day seminar on “Kannad Literature in 21st Century; Challenges and Possibilities” organized by Milagres College, Kallianpur on 26th and 27th August 2014.
- Attended one day workshop on “Nuthana Padavi Pattya Pusthakagala Karyagara” at University College on 10th October 2014.
- Attended a National Seminar on 16th January 2015 at Mangalore University, Mangalagangotri organized by Mangalore Univedrsity Ladies Club on the topic “Mahila Daurjanyagalannu thadegattuvalli Saamajikara Paathra”.
- Participated in one day seminar on “Kumara Vyasa Kavya Anusandhana” at NMC, Sullia on 17th January 2015.
- Dr. M.R. Roopa, Dept. of Hindi
- Participated as a judge for the district level Prathibha Karanji competition held at Alvas College, Moodbidri on 10th November 2014.
- Has been awarded Ph.D. degree from Dakshin Bharath Hindi Prachar Sabha, Chennai for the thesis “Parivarik Evam Samajik Sandarbhon mein Nirmal Verma Ke Upanyason ka Anusheelan” under the guidance of Dr. S.P.Vidya Kumar.
- Mrs. Padmashree, Dept. of Commerce
- Attended a workshop on “Research Methodology” at Vivekananda College, Puttur, on 9th August 2014.
- Attended the UGC sponsored one day National Seminar on ‘Human Rights and Environment: Issues and Concerns’ held at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri, on 23rd January 2015.
- Attended the National level seminar organized by our college on 5th and 6th September 2014.
- Ms. Asha Shalet D’Souza, Dept. of Comp.Science
- Attended the inter-state visit to West Bengal from 1.6.2014 to 10.6.2014
- Attended a workshop on Mangalore University BCA revised syllabus on 25.6.2014
- Attended one day training programme at District Scouts and Gudes Bhavan, Mangalore on 27.8.2014
- Attended the state level Jamborate held at Dr.Annie Besant State Training Centtre, Doddaballapur from 17.1.2015 to 23.1.2015.
- Ms. Shruthi Pai, Dept. of Commerce
- Won I Prize in Rangoli event in the inter-collegiate cultural and variety competition held on 8th November 2014 at Karavali Institute of Technology, Mangalore.
- Mr. Raj Prasad, Dept. of Physical Education
- Attended and presented a paper in the UGC sponsored Two day National level Physical Education seminar at Sri Dhavala College, Moodbidri on 22nd and 23rd December 2014.
- Sri K. Mohan Upadhyaya
- Sri Rajesh Kumar Attended Robo-Vidya Software Training at Bhandarkars
- Mrs. Shanthi K.C. College, Kundapur during November 2014
- Mrs. Supreetha R.
- Ms. Jayashree
The IQAC and the Department of Humanities organized UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Idea of Nationalism in India – Historical, Economics, Cultural and Political Trends” on 5th and 6th September 2014 in association with Mangalore University Political Science Teachers’ Association, Mangalore University History Association and Mangalore University Economics Association. Dr. G.Gopa Kumar, the Honourable vice-chancellor of Central University, Kasaragod, Kerala, inaugurated the seminar and delivered the keynote address. Dr.H.Shantaran, Administrative Officer, Academy of General Education Manipal, was the Chief Guest. Sri Sampath Samrajya, Deputy Chairman of SMC Governing Council, presided over the programme. Four technical and two paper presentation sessions in 3 parallel sessions respectively, were held during this two day national seminar. Prof. P.L.Dharma and Prof. Shripathi Kalluraya of Mangalore University, Prof. K. Ashok of Madras Christian College, Chennai, and Prof. Ashwathnarayana of Bangalore University were the various resource persons who delivered talk on the various themes of the seminar. Sri K. Abhayachandra Jain, the Honourable Minister of State for Youth Services and Fisheries, Govt. of Karnataka, and also the chairman of SMC Governing Council, was the Chief Guest for the valedictory ceremony. Prof. Chandrashekhar Dixit, Principal of Sri Mahaveera First Grade College, presided over the programme. 159 delegates participated in this seminar and 81 research papers were presented.
Inter Collegiate Competitions:
During this academic year, we conducted the following inter collegiate competitions:-
- Mangalore University level S.D. Samrajya Memorial Elocution competition on Gandhian Thought on 27th September 2014 organised by the Humanities Association and the Department of Economics.
- Mangalore University level Paper Presentation Competition on Science Topics on 10th January 2015.
- “Tulunada Siri Madipu 2015” – Mangalore University level Cultural Competition was held on 11th February 2015 in collaboration with Tulu Sahiithya Academy, Old Students Association, SMC, Tulukoota Moodbidri and the Tulu Sangha of our college.
Achievements of our students in various Inter-Collegiate Competitions:
- Disha Divakar of II BCA secured I Prize in Kolkatta Camp Report competition conducted by Bharath Scouts & Guides, Udupi
- Vasudev Prabhu of II B.Com won I place in the event Parliament in ‘Umang 2015’ – an inter collegiate Hindi Fest held at Alvas College, Moodbidri on 23.1.2015.
- Daksha D. Jain of II B.Com and Mr. Chethan S. of II B.Sc. secured I and III prizes respectively in the essay writing competition conducted by Dakshina Kannada District Police Department.
HRD Cell, Career and Counselling Cell:
Under the student progression programme, the following activities are being conducted:-
- Career guidance and counseling programme in collaboration with Big Disha, Bangalore on 14th July 2014.
- Orientation and Induction Programme to create awareness about the Govt. of Karnataka sponsored Skill Development Scheme for minorities.
- Deputing students to the pool campus placements
- Payal Jain of III BBM has been selected for Clutch Group and TCS Ltd.
- Safa Banu Gafoor of III BCA for Tech Mahindra.
During this academic year, Remedial coaching classes are being organized in our college. 340 students belonging to SC, ST, OBC and Minority communities are benefitted by this.
National Cadet Corps (NCC):
Our NCC unit has been regarded as one of the best units in the 18 Karnataka Batallion. Sri Basanagouda Patil, Dept. of Commerce, has been appointed as the NCC care taker since August 2014.
Mr. Wilfred Sequeira of III BA has been nominated as the student representative from NCC quota for the Mangalore University Syndicate.
Our cadets participated in the Annual Training camp held in JNVCollege, Mudipu and CAT Camp held at Alvas College Moodbidri, Basic leadership camp held at Mysore, TS Camp held at Bagalkot and RDC selection camp held at Chennagiri. Sgt. Joyston Lobo of II B.Com participated in RDC – I to IV with IGC camp held at Chennagiri, Belgaum and Mysore respectively from 7th October to 5th November 2014. JUO Ramya of II B.Com participated in the All India Trekking Expedition held at Darjeeling from 6th to 15th November 2014. Sgt. Joyston and JUO Daksha D. Jain of II B.Com participated in Prof. K.Damodara Kini Memorial Best Cadet competition held at Sri Bhuvanendra College, Karkala.
Our cadets actively participated in the blood donation camp held in our college and donated blood. The other activities of the NCC unit include Swachha Bharath Abhiyana, celebration of Gandhi Jayanthi, visit to Sneha Sadana (HIV Kids) at Kaikamba, trekking expedition to Koodlu Theertha near Someshwar (Hebri) etc. Our NCC unit participated and took lead in the Republic Day celebration held at Swaraj Maidan, Moodbidri. 19 SD and 11 SW cadets are going to write ‘B’ certificate exam during February 2015.
National Service Scheme (NSS):
Our college has one NSS unit with 100 approved strength. 125 volunteers have been enrolled during this academic year. Mr. Praveen K. Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, is working as the NSS programme Officer. Vasudev Prabhu & Sangeetha Nayak are the student secretaries.
The NSS unit of our college has been functioning very actively by organizing diversified programmes. The regular activities of the NSS for the year 2014-15 were inaugurated by Sri Vivekananda Shenoy.
The annual special camp was held Govt. High School and D.K.Z.H.P. School. Muchur from 21st to 27th November 2014. Our NSS unit hosted National NSS Integration Camp in association with Youth Empowerment and Sports Department, Govt. of Karnataka, NSS Regional Centre, Bangalore and Mangalore University NSS from 24th to 30th December 2014. 150 N.S.S. volunteers and 8 N.S.S. officers from South Indian States participated in this camp.
Vasudev Prabhu and Sangeeth Nayak of II B.Com attended Mangalore University level leadership training programme held at University College, Mangalore. Vasudev Prabhu attended the state level Pre R.D. selection camp held at Bangalore.
During this academic year, 16 students have appeared for Gamaka Prathama Exam conducted by Karnataka Gamaka Kala Parishath, Bangalore. 16 students will appear for Vachana Kammata examination organized by Sri Murugharajendra Mutt, Chitradurga.
Ms. Asha Shalet D’souza of the Computer Science Department is the Ranger Leader. The activities of the Rangers unit were inaugurated on 21st July 2014. It has organized various programmes like shramadana, swachchatha Abhiyana, campus cleaning, blood donation camp etc., during the current academic year.
Rashmi M.k., Sweety Sunitha Fernandes and Disha Divakar have passed Praveen exam held at District Training Centre, Pilikula. The student rangers of our college participated in the following camps:-
- Inter state visit to West Bengal
- Rover-Rangers Patrol Camp held at Pilikula
- Zonal level Patrol Leaders Camp at Belvai
- Service Camp at Udupi
- State level Trekking Camp at Mulubagilu, Kolar
- Campori 2014-15 held at Bangady, Belthangady
- State level Jamborate held at Doddaballapur
- State level Youth Meet at Hassan
- Scout-Guides Ralley at Mijar
- State level Nature Study Camp at Kollur
Youth Red Cross:
Prof. Jayalaxmi, Head of the Department of History, is the Programme officer of this wing and Ms. Thahira Banu of III B.Com is the student secretary. The activities of Youth Red Cross were inaugurated on 21st July 2014. The unit has conducted several activities like orientation programme, guest lectures, swachatha abhiyana, campus cleaning, blood donation camp, weekend shramadana programmes, leadership training prorammes, etc.
Sports & Games:
Ladies & gentlemen, I feel happy to report that Mr. Sushanth of III B.Com and Mr. Amar of II B.Com are selected to play in the inter university softball tournament which will be held from March 3 – 15, 2015 at Delhi.
Our college team participated in the Mangalore University Kabaddi Tournament held at Sri Gokarnanatheshwara College, Mangalore from 7th to 9th January 2015. Our college softball team (men) participated in the inter – collegiate tournament held at St. Mary’s college, Shirva on 22nd and 23rd January 2015. Table Tennis, Football and Badminton teams of our college participated in various tournaments held at Besant College, Mangalore, Vijaya College, Mulki and MGM College, Udupi respectively.
Jaina Adhyayana Kendra:
The Jaina Adhyayana Kendra of the College has been playing an excellent role. On 25th January 2015, students of our college worked as volunteers during the Karkala Bahubali Masthakabhisheka. Essay competition on the topic “Bahubali Charithre” was organized on 3rd February 2015.
Amateur Astronomers Club:
Under this club, Star gazing programmes were conducted for the members of the Astronomers Club of our college. Power point presentation on celestial bodies was also being organized during the current academic year. I must thank Prof. M. Ramesh Bhat, HOD of Physics, Sri Bhuvanendra College, Karkala, for his able guidance and co-operation in organizing the activities of the club. I am happy to bring to your notice that a new, highly powerful 14 inches celestron HD Telescope has been ordered for purchase and will be delivered to us in the first week of March.
Students Welfare Council:
The Students Welfare Council has been very active throughout the year. Under the auspicious of the various associations, it has conducted various activities. A detailed report of the activities will be presented by the Secretary of the Council tomorrow. I appreciate the Students Council President, Mr. Sudheendra Prabhu and the office bearers for their enthusiastic work. I also recognize the valuable guidance given by the Students Welfare Officer, Prof. Madhur Mohan.
I am extremely happy to report that the two hostels of our campus have been attracting students from far and wide. Sri J.J. Pinto, Principal of SNM Polytechnic, is the chief warden of both the hostels. In the year under report, the strength of the Women’s Hostel and the Boys Hostel is 97 and 190 respectively. Both the hostels are equipped with all the necessary infrastructure and are providing homely comfort to the inmates. I appreciate the services of the wardens and staff of the hostels.
Parent Teachers Association (PTA):
The PTA of our college has been an active partner in the activities and development of our institution. The members of PTA are contributing to the Free Mid-day Meals and also financial help to the needy students. The President of PTA, Mr. Shankar Bhat, and the members of the executive committee have been very supportive to us.
Old Students Association:
This association has been playing an active role in all our endeavours. Many of our old students have been contributing generously to our inter-collegiate competitions and free mid-day meal scheme. While thanking them for their nice gesture, we also look forward for their continued and invaluable support in the coming years. I acknowledge our appreciation and gratitude to the President of OSA, Dr. Mohan Alva, Secretary, Prof. M.Ramesh Bhat, and all the members for having been supportive to all our activities.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is only a synopsis of the activities and functioning of the college that I am presenting to you. We look forward for the kind help and support from all quarters of Management, Parent Teachers Association, Old Students Association, parents, present students and the public at large to organize the golden jubilee celebrations and make it memorable and purposeful. I am highly thankful to the Registrar of AGE Padmabhushana Dr. Ramdas Pai, President of AGE Dr.H.S.Ballal, Administrative Officer of AGE Dr. H. Shantharam, Chairman of SMC Governing Council Sri K. Abhayachandra Jain, Members of the Management, Staff, Parents, Students and Old Students, various sponsors, media and everyone who stood by me in discharging my duties in the best interests of the institution.
Mr. President, with your kind permission, I present to this distinguished and august assembly the College Day Report for the academic year 2014-15.
Thank you very much.